Pest proofing, also known as pest exclusion, is an eco-friendly technique which prevents pests from entering your living space. By creating these barriers, you will eliminate any need for pesticides and can take a proactive approach to pest control. Mice, rats, roaches, and other pests often make use of small cracks and crevices for harboring and moving between apartments or buildings. Therefore, it is very important that our technicians or yourself, if you choose to do the proofing yourself, be diligent in sealing cracks even up to ¼ or 1/8 inch in size.
At M&M, we have technicians that specialize in pest proofing. They will search your premises and pull out appliances (with the exception of large sub-zero fridges and heavy appliances wedged into cabinets) to seek all possible rodent entryways and seal them. We make use of steel wool, expanding foam, clear caulk, and metal plating to effectively close up the entry points that we find. For major structural repairs such as replacing missing drywall, flooring, tiles or repairs in need of professional carpentry work, or if there are custom built-in appliances, speak to your superintendent or plumber to help disconnect and thoroughly proof them.
Our Codes and Practices: Integrated Pest Management
At M&M, the use of any pesticides will always be the last alternative for eliminating pests. We value and actively implement an EPA-approved Integrated Pest Management (“IPM”) program. IPM utilizes all possible pest control techniques in managing existing and potential pest infestations. While pesticides are a necessary tool in the IPM program, they take on a decreased role. The goals of our IPM Program are to:
•Change the living environment of the pests to make it less likely that pests will be able to survive
• Use inspections and monitoring devices to determine where pests are active
• Use only safe and approved pesticides
• Apply pesticides only to the area(s) where pests are active
The key to all successful pest control is proper sanitation and exclusion. Communication is another critical component for a successful IPM program. In order for the IPM program to work, the client and M&M must work together. For instances where pesticide is part of the chosen pest control program, M&M utilizes a full line of EPA approved and safe pesticides that include EcoSMART Technologies. EcoSMART is a world leader in patented pesticide products derived from natural plant oils. EcoSMART’s field proven technology provides natural pest control solutions to the conventional and rapidly growing natural/organic product markets. Depending on the type and severity of the infestation, M&M will work closely with each client to determine the best pesticide and technology to utilize in solving the problem. It is our commitment to IPM practices and the highest in training and hiring standards that have earned us QualityPro and GreenPro certifications from the NPMA. These certifications designate M&M as a top-tier pest control company in all aspects of business practices.
Why Be Eco-Friendly?
M&M truly believes in providing our clients with safe and effective ways to resolve their pest issues. That is why we limit the use of harsh and harmful chemicals in our pest control process, and promote use of eco-friendly or green methods whenever possible. Our GreenPro certification from the National Pest Management Association reflects that belief.
There are many benefits to picking a greener, more nature-friendly approach, especially when treating your home, place of business, or other areas where you are spending time. Consider the following factors which all benefit from green pest control methods:
1. Your health and the health of your family and loved ones – some pesticides can cause or aggravate health issues, especially for the elderly, children, or pregnant women.
2. Our environment – using large amounts of harsh chemicals in the open or close to air and water flows can release pesticides into the environment, where they can accidentally kill non-targeted plants, animals, and even impact other humans
3. Long-term control – our green pest control solutions are a different approach from an indiscriminate spraying. We focus on not just elimination for the time being but also future prevention, incorporating techniques such as pest proofing.
We at M&M strongly encourage teamwork when it comes to approaching a pest problem – we will provide to you resources and educational materials to help you treat your pest problem effectively, and explain to you all available treatment options before completing the treatment.
Do-It-Yourself Green Methods
In pest control as in life, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. There are many eco-friendly approaches to pest control that you can take to keep your home, office, or other living space free of insects, rodents, and other pests. At the very least, taking some of these steps can help you to catch a problem early and deal with it effectively. Here are some examples:
• Proper sanitation – do not leave out any food which might attract pests. This includes cleaning up any spilled foods or grease!
• Exclusion of pests – when in the supermarket, buying furniture or clothing, check regularly for any items that show signs of pest activity. Often stored food pests, moths, and other insects may harbor in these items
• Keep your structure secure – inspect your rooms to note possible structural issues such as gaps between baseboards and flooring, or gaps around utility pipelines – these may become entry points for pests and should be sealed up as a preventative measure (see Pest Proofing)
• Monitor regularly for any sign of insect activity and maintain communication with pest control professionals to make sure that problems can be caught and dealt with early on.